Friday, May 18, 2007

The Love-Hate Relationship

'hate', as an Emotion (if you can call it that) confuses me. All I understand about it is that it’s Powerful... and most powerful things are dangerous.

I’ve never been comfortable with hating. Swapnil once told me long back… ‘You need to give a lot of importance to someone you hate, why would you do that?’ And I couldn’t agree more.

I don’t understand these communities in Orkut that say ‘I Hate Angelina Jolie’ or ‘I Hate Aishwarya Rai’… Man what difference does it make to any of them whether you hate them or not!! Why give them so much of importance? I’d understand ‘I Hate Child Labour’ but, Aishwarya Rai? C’mon!! I mean, do you know her personally or something!!

I hate too, of course… I mean I hate child abuse and eve teasing and injustice... but that’s about it!! It needs a lot of passion to hate, and I’d rather be passionately in Love than Hate!! :)

I mean, look at it this way… you Love a person with all your heart say Mr. X and he has no idea. You love him, it makes you feel good, and you’re happy to be in Love. Years later, you meet Mr. X who’s married and settled and you tell him you’ve always loved him. He feels good, you feel good and all is hunky dory. Now imagine you hate Mr. X and he doesn’t know you exist. You feel angry when you look at him, disgusted when you talk about him and years later you tell him you hate him. He feels important and amused, you feel worse and bitter and you’ve wasted a lifetime hurting no one but yourself. Why would anyone do that?!

If it makes anyone happy to hate, maybe they should go ahead and keep hating... but well, I doubt that... I don’t deny Loving can hurt you… but personally, I’d rather hurt loving than hurt hating!

And you know, in the end, it’s the Loving that defines you. If you had only one more day to live, you’d spend it with the people you love; you’d not spend it shooting the people you hate (I mean unless you’re a bit screwed up). In fact chances are you’d realize you don’t even want to kill them… but then that’s forgiveness we’re talking about; let’s not get into that in this post.

So here I’m talking about Love again. How hackneyed is that… God I hope I didn’t sound all soppy... I mean... I’d really Hate that!! ;)

11 comments:

Ani... said...

I really expected something different when I read the title.. :) That's maybe because I read a play recently about a couple who hate each other because they love each other too much. :) :)

I have to agree with you that I really wouldn't want to hate someone. But again, I don't think anyone does. I never realized this, or thought of this till I read what you wrote.

Guess that's the difference between love and hate. Both are strong, powerful feelings. Both happen without you knowing, or wanting it to happen. Everybody loves, and everybody hates. But where everyone wants to love, no body wants to hate.

Ani... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ani... said...

Hey.. I think I was getting a little carried away in the excitement of having a new idea.. :) I'd like to correct myself, that its not "the" difference, but just an important one. :)

life is too complicated to discuss said...

well not that i have seen a blog talking bout love life and friendship after a long time, but i like what i have read, nicely done, ur opinions seem honest and approach simple, quite impressed i must say :)

Ulalume said...

@ Ani
Similar to what you're talking about is an 'internecine reationship'... that is, a mutually destructive relationship.. i've seen a few myself..
Sad though.. if Love itself were to give rise to hate.. what an irony!! God forbid! :(

Ulalume said...

@life is too complicated to discuss

Thanks so much.. i always feel i'd appear senti and mushy.. (though i go along anyway) so a word of praise does wonders for the doubtful me! Thanks! :)

Voice of Silence: Silence of Voice said...

i once read/heard somewhere (or maybe its a fragment of my own imagination) that "hating is the extreme form of hatred".. having written that, i guess I could write it as "hatred is the extreme form of hating" and I think it would still make much sense...

I agree with hatred being a powerful emotion- a passionate emotion/experience if I may add. But what i opinionate is Hating is a necessity in the life of a human being, as much as loving is.Im of the cynical school of thought that believes that you need the opposites in the world to experience anything- too much of happiness is like oversweetend tea. Some sadness/suffering/despair balances the whole act and gives a "point of reference" to the experience. Similarly when one talks about Loving, Hatred automatically enters the picture. However this concept is not so simply put in black&white since we revel consistently in inconsistencies. There is no middle line to the concept- instead it shifts back and forth as the balance deems fit, according to situation/context or relevance.

The act of Loving stands out in stark contrast when one considers the act of Hating and I think the reverse would hold true as well.

Imagine a palestinian soldier whos family has been killed by the incessant war thats been taking place for god knows how long.. what does the soldier live on? faith? hope? Hatred in such a situation is a fuel for living (and dying..in retrospective).. hatred against the killers, hatred against faith, hatred against fate... Hatred, in such a perspective becomes passionate, becomes a drug that drives people on...its as much related to vengeance and rage although they become mere subsets.... Similarly with an Israeli jew who's torments know no bounds when he/she thinks and remembers of the Holocaust. SO much so that every Israeli youth has to enrol himself/herself for compulsory army duty- nationalist hatred or shall i say "Security against Insecurity"..
we write on, in solid shelter, with clean clothes and sumptuous food taking care of us. My point is- everything changes according to context- nothing is absolute. Hatred can be analogous to Loving in one part of the world while the opposite can also be possible. And as i mentioned before, there's a large middle ground where all kinds of combinations of both happen.. its simple and beautiful and in its simplicity, it shows its complexity.

All in all, Hatred and its phenomena is Negative in its perception,creation and execution. It gets tied inexplorably and intricately with other negative emotions/experiences such as anger/rage, jealousy, greed, etc and is plaintively expressive. For me, the purpose for Hatred to exist in us, as a race is simple- it subsequently or progressively shows or implies the need for Love.. for Loving and for Loving more....
Use the snake's venom to remove the snake's Venom :)

Ulalume said...

@ Abhinav
Nice argument..
Well, of course, Hatred at times can be justified. And yup, happiness doesn't (maybe shouldn't?) always prevail.. my point is that, Hatred against someone who has wilfully wrecked your life is Justified.. but hatred against someone who has absolutely no relation with you and doesn't even know you exist... that doesn't make sense!! It should probably be called 'dislike'.. not hatred!!
And the fact that we have 'clean clothes and sumptuous food' doesn't mean that we don't respect the soldiers who fight on our behalf, in fact, by hating less and being more positive we'll be making a better nation that they'll be prouder to defend! :)

Prashant Das said...

Really thoughtful.

It takes lots of effort to hate someone than remaining rather indifferent about him/her.
So, if you dislike someone; he/she doesnot deserve any attention; and thus any hatred.

Means, the very idea of 'hating' someone is meaningless.
Agree man; I agree!!

Prashant Das said...

Really thoughtful.

It takes lots of effort to hate someone than remaining rather indifferent about him/her.
So, if you dislike someone; he/she doesnot deserve any attention; and thus any hatred.

Means, the very idea of 'hating' someone is meaningless.
Agree man; I agree!!

life is too complicated to discuss said...

well i am visiting ur blog after a long time, but its nice u appreciated my gesture, i mean i liked it. but i am kinda surprised. u stopped writing it seems.