Thursday, March 22, 2007

Less Than Faithful...

I’ve often talked about Love; its Magnitude, its Power, its very Existence. Perhaps I haven’t been very ‘practical’ in my outlook, maybe I haven’t even been exactly factual, but then it’s simply because of my obstinate Faith in humankind :)

However, one facet of Human Nature that deals with the actual part of Love and intrigues me no end is Infidelity.

I watched ‘Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna’ sometime ago, and I was surprised to find that I liked the movie. Simply because the movie made me think. Granted, it could’ve been made in a much better way, but the train of thought it set into motion is quite interesting.

I’ve always disapproved of infidelity… (maybe that has something to do with me being a Sagittarian :) but now I am not sure if it’s always as simple as that. When are things black and white anyway? I don’t say there can be a time when infidelity can be totally justified. But perhaps there can be a time when it is excused, made an allowance for. With little help from good old poetic license, I differentiated Infidelity from Unfaithfulness.

By my definition, Infidelity is deliberate, unfaithfulness is accidental. The former perhaps stems out from shortcomings of a relationship which are only unconsciously acknowledged, and manifest themselves in form of infidelity. Unfaithfulness, though is more of a reaction, an impulse, not intended consciously or unconsciously.

For instance, when Chandler shares what he does with Kathy, Joey’s girl, can that really be judged simply as betrayal on Chandler’s part or adulterous on Kathy’s part? I think not. It might have been a breach of Faith, but it was not a disrespect of love, or friendship.

Deliberate breach of faith or even exploitation of love is definitely not acceptable. But when you fall in love with someone you shouldn’t, is that immoral? When you get carried away momentarily, is that criminal?

Of course this is a very delicate, and more importantly a case specific issue. And yes, Ideally speaking, Love deserves neither unfaithfulness nor infidelity. But in case such a thing does happen, isn’t forgiveness and making an allowance also a part of True Love? Doesn’t everyone deserve a second chance?

Perhaps there are no definite answers to these questions. Or perhaps all of us have answers of our own, within ourselves.

There are many things that can go wrong in a relationship. But it takes two people to make a relationship work. To make it, or break it. And if they want it to work, it will. Come hell or high water.

Maybe what I’m saying doesn’t always stand true. But I want to believe it does, and I will… because… you know, at the end of the day… Love is Enough really... and I’m stubborn!! :)

19 comments:

V said...

"When you get carried away momentarily, is that criminal?.." .. this is a serious, subtle question indeed.

True.. except maybe I might only swap the meanings of infidility and unfaithfulness!..(the later is to me is more explicit!.. neway thats not that point)....

I also see a third kind.. the kind who are unaware that they are unfaithful!.. they.. take things for granted. And I think this kind is a majority! (Joey is an exception!!..he finds similar dates.. so doesnt matter!)

(Sagittarian u might be!..but Largely are an Aquarian!)

Prashant Das said...

Nice piece of writing Aditi; and thoughtful.
But I find you having lost your neutraility. Bluntly speaking, you have been partial for one opinion without exploring the other side.

Also I disagree to the opinion that breaking a relation implies efforts from both sides. One side is more than enough!

Prashant Das said...

Hey, I just forgot to add the smiley in the previous post...
;)

Ulalume said...

@ Prashant
Hmm.. i didn't really know i was neutral while writing!! You see when i'm speaking, i'm quite opinionated.. to the limit of being judgemental!! ;) I have been partial to an opinion, Mine!! Guilty as charged!! And when you say 'One side is more than enough'.. well, for Breaking, Maybe.... for 'Making'? I don't think so! :)

Ulalume said...

@ Vinay...
Well i'm okay with you swapping the meanings( as if that makes a difference! ;)
You serious about this third kind?? Well even if such people exist, i'll never waste my time writing about them!! God Help Them!! :)
And.. Aquarian?? Really??

V said...

Third kind.. yes.. maynot be completely unaware..(that would be terrible to imagine).. but maybe people who lack empathy are prone to come under that kind. And potentially, there are many..

I guess they justify/accept such behavior and learn to defend it.. so are unaware..

(I guess the cynic in me was talking..!)

Anonymous said...

I agree.
We in sync now.
:)

-Prashant

ankurindia said...

something worth thinking

Raoul said...

hmm.. ur obstinate faith in humankind , :P, it all comes down to that. Love is really enough, provided both sides have a great deal of decency. or if both sides are very broad minded. Else things like unfaithfullness do come into the picture. If you have watched the movie 'Mixed Doubles', then you wud know tat its abt wife swapping. 1 couple is game for it and claim that it has strenghtened their relationship.
Wat I am trying to say is that, forgiveness or making an allowance for infidelity/unfaithfullness reequires either tat both parties are
1) very broad minded
2) hopelessly decent or indecent (works both ways)
3) very needy n dependent on each other.

In the rest of the cases, infidelity will mostly lead to the end of the relationship. And I agree with you that it takes 2 to make or break a relationship. If it took only 1 to break it, then it was wrong from the beginning itself.

Ulalume said...

@ Ankur
Thanks! :)

Ulalume said...

@ Raoul
I don't know if i totally agree with you, but as always your way of looking at the whole thing is refreshingly different... Maybe what you're saying is right... But then what happens after an act of Unfaithfulness, or Infidelity is so completely case specific.. Writing about is so much easier than having to undergo it (God Forbid)
I guess, as always, it all boils down to what one chooses... and then bear the consequences... :)

Anonymous said...

love is enough really...:)
thanks, i needed to hear that to believe it!strange how things we always knew to be true somehow only come into the light and make sense when someone says it out aloud...

Ulalume said...

You're welcome.. Thanks for your comment actually.. Feels like this blog is achieving its purpose; feels good!
it's very true, what you've written.. I like the way you've put it.. How about revealing your identity? :)

Anonymous said...

does it really matter who i am?:)

Anonymous said...

I have a mixed reaction for the whole thing...i wouldn't so much justify infidelity but wud rather say it occurs in relationships that are not based of true love either from both partners or one of them. like someone said it could be wrong from the start, an illusion the two want to believe in, but when they do realize the truth it makes them wanna search for the true love and that is were infidelity or unfaithfulness comes in, in such a case like aditi puts it, its case specific, but i wouldn't say it is criminal. infact its freedom.
As for the true lovers i agree that love is enough really and wanna think come hell or high water they'll make it work forever...i believe that and i am stubborn too [;)]

Anonymous said...

sweeeeet.........

Anonymous said...

what if one loses the concept of "love"- not referring to the 'third ' kind that Vinay mentioned but those that have stopped loving or forgotten to know what it is to love, or for that matter, how to love..

Ulalume said...

@ Abha
Trust you to reinforce my faith.. thanks Babu... *hug*

Ulalume said...

@ Anonymous
i've discussed something akin to what you're talking about in a previous post called 'Theorizing Faith'
loss of faith is always sad, and more than that, it's unfortunate.. but then, more often than not, we can choose to be faithful, choose to believe, in ourselves and in Love and in Justice.. :)