Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Matter of Faith...

Just when I’m about to abandon my ideals or get disillusioned, something happens and I get back on track… this time it was our result.

It came out yesterday. I was expecting to be way behind my class mates, percentage wise. Reason being the marks are not allotted fairly, prejudices come in, and in the past, I’ve often been on the receiving end of such injustice. The final year largely consists of internal marks, which are awarded on a biased basis. So I was half expecting to just about scrape through, which was fine with me since scoring well was never my priority (never been ambitious na :)

But to calculate your percentage, they take your 4th year and 5th year marks together. In doing so, my performance at the universities got included, which has always been good since the college doesn’t play a part in it, and my average, though not exceptional, was good enough.

Had the marks been awarded reasonably (not expecting to be treated specially, only fairly) my average would have been even better. But I have no complaints, since I don’t need a lot to be satisfied. (A trait that Raoul would consider criminal! :)

What I want to say is, I stuck to what I felt was right all through the five years, irrespective of the consequences. No obsequiousness, no dishonesty, no sweet talk, nothing. Everybody said you need to be a sycophant to survive in a professional college. I wasn’t one. And I survived well enough, got through too. It might be a small victory. But I’m very proud of it.

So I’ll go on doing what I feel is right. One might call me silly but that’s ok. There’s a great Power in Truth, as in Love and Faith. And I believe it works wonders. Somewhat akin to 'Gandhigiri' in ‘Lage Raho Munnabhai’. The movie has such an Amazing message.

We are not living in the greatest of times, and choices are getting tougher by the day. But the fact that the basic good values still exist goes to show the sheer strength of these ideals. And they will sustain us as long as we believe in them. Hopefully, forever... :)

4 comments:

Raoul said...

"We are not living in the greatest of times, and choices are getting tougher by the day. But the fact that the basic good values still exist goes to show the sheer strength of these ideals. And they will sustain us as long as we believe in them."
well,,wat can i say,,, u ve been there,,done tat.. anything tat i say will not even come close to saying how proud i am of u..

Ulalume said...

you're proud of me Raoul.. i can't get a better compliment than that... thanks... :)

Anonymous said...

Mumum.. love u more on this gandhigiri thot of urz.. in this world of difficult ppl around, who r not even true to themselves... its too difficult for true ones to survive.. but i kno they only sail thru difficult times.. rest all run off or give up.. chalo.. not sure, how much i m true to myself or to others.. but surely u r..to all.. irrespective to how good or how bad the other person is.. always be at it Mumum.. atleast u'll be happy within.. never give it up..God Bless You..

Ulalume said...

thanks Tanu... *hug* :)